torsdag, juli 26, 2007

"Human filth"...


... is an expression that comes to my mind sometimes.

I saw both "Silent Hill" and "West Side Story" today. Both makes me recoil in the face of humankind.

Silent Hill is a great movie, at least in my opinion. I love the way they have built up the whole town, with the ashclad fog and everything. I also love how the sirens sound before each danger. The first part of the movie, before she gets to the church, I really love. It is made to be frightful and it is. I also very much enjoy Jodelle Ferland's acting. She does an exceptional job as the darker side. But no matter how much I like this movie, I somehow can't bring myself to like the second part. No, that's wrong. I do -like- the second part, as a movie, some scenes even escalates to love. It's just that it makes me a bit sick in my soul to watch the stupidity of mankind. And I hate to be reminded of how cruel they can be.

"West Side Story" carries some of that element, almost more of it. And despite loving musicals as I do, this was actually the first time I saw it. The actors were horrible and I seriously hope they will make a remake of it in modern times. I would have if I could, but I can't so I'll leave it up to Hollywood to realize that they want to do it. ^^
The story is rather cute, a little Romeo & Juliet over it. The music actually sucks, but it could have been the performers too. And I cried in the ending, not because of what happened to her but because of why and how stupid a reason that was. There was also a scene in which the heroine's brother's girlfriend are trying to leave a message to the hero on her behalf but his gang prevents her (of course, without knowing what she wanted). That scene made me nauseous. Honest to God (mine, not the others), people are stupid. And humanity disgust me in so many ways so often it hurts.

But to wrap it all up;
Silent Hill - beautiful movie (good actors, exceptional filming and climbs above the disgust)
West Side Story - horrible movie (bad actors, bad filming and horrible voices)


Inga kommentarer: