tisdag, augusti 07, 2007

On the Road


So. As most of you know, I'm not in Gävle anymore.
I've been travelling north to collect my little Heartbeat, passing Umeå and now I'm in Kiruna again.
The town itself is just as gray and dull as I remember it, and the greeting committee was entirely made out of mosquitoes where I had expected none at all.

Anyhow, here's an update of things I've been entertaining myself with;

I usually don't watch Swedish movies. I'm not sure of exactly why, but I'm pretty confident it is because they suck. If you take about 50 Swedish movies, you have maybe, just maybe, 4 good movies, 4 that doesn't feel like a complete waste of time, 10 that isn't good nor bad just not anything at all, and the rest of them suck. Big time. At least that's my point of view and I'm sticking by it.
Despite this I have seen two Swedish movies since I left home. One of them was showed on the bus, a comedy called "7 miljonärer" (millionaires), and it was actually funny. Maybe not so much from the start, but who am I to complain? ^^
The best thing of the entire movie was Tiger-Sven, the Russian hitman/kindergarten teacher. Really. <3
The other movie was "Beck - Okänd avsändare" and this is one of the movies I could have lived without. Peter Haber and Mikael Persbrandt are two really good actors but unfortunately can't their efforts carry the entire movie, including a story that we heard before in so many ways.

Another movie on the bus was "Tara Road" and I can put you out of two hours misery by saying; Don't watch it. It sucked. So much. So bad. My entire blog, filled with my self-centered ramblings of my boredom and silliness, is so much better than half a minute of that crappy movie. Trust me.

"The Sword and the Sorcerer" was a movie I thought would suck like the previous mentioned one but it didn't. Of course, it wasn't a very good movie but it entertained me at least, which is a whole lot more than that piece of... blank. Anyhow, the hero of the movie receives an heirloom sword from his dying father (the king, of course) at the beginning. No surprises, one may think, neither is that it is a very special sword. What I never would have seen coming though, is what an impractical and clumsy sword it seemed to be. You see, it was a three-bladed sword. Not edged, but bladed. One hilt, three blades. But when the special use of those extra blades were to dazzle me... I laughed out loud. Big, long time.
Otherwise the highlights of the movie were the credits ("A drunk", "Bar-Bro" etc.) and a scene where the heroine was about to be raped, the hero walks in, spontaneously chewing on a huge piece of meat and upon seeing him one of the rapers say something like "get out of here or else". The hero responds with "That's a small threat.". Then he takes a closer look at the half-naked man and with a wicked smile he says; "That's a really small threat." XD

I also managed to catch "Fantastic Four" and it wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be. But then again, I carry this... aversion against Jessica Alba that might have rubbed of against the mvie before watching it. I don't think she's that hot either, honestly. Not ugly, but not really that pretty. Her character in this movie though suited her, transforming from what was supposed to be a confident and independent woman into a whimpering damsel in distress by the end. The character was so typical her kind of actresses too, but Hollywood, face it. No matter how hot or sexy a person is deemed to be, stupid people can't act smart. >_<
Otherwise, I loved the scene where Chris Evans takes his nurse skiing. He's kind of cool in this movie. ^^ Another thing I love is that Julian McMahon plays Victor von Doom. I like him. :)

The last movie to be mentioned was also the greatest. Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto".
I'm not sure what can be said about this movie. I... loved it. Even though I was a bit distracted by the company and despite some scenes forced me to look away, it was an excellent movie in so many ways I don't know where to start.
As I have mentioned before, some things make me feel... ashamed to be human. Sometimes people disgust me, often religious people disgust me more. The ones who will stop for nothing in the name of their God (as in "Silent Hill"), and fouler yet are the ones that have crossed that line of simply committing these abominations upon life to actually enjoy it, take pleasure from it.
This movie does carry some of these people, but it carries them well. There is so much beauty in all it's vile brutality. And not the kind of violence you can admire in a way, but a violence that still makes you sick despite it's aesthetic performance.
A separate worth of mentioning is Rudy Youngblood who plays the main character, Jaguar Paw.
He was absolutely perfect in this role. Not only is he deadsmexy (^^), but he has such incredible eyes. That one man can show such a wide range of emotions with naught but his eyes is astonishing. If I were to meet him on the street I don't think I could feel more exposed if I actuallyy had stood before him naked. I might be in love, yes. ^^ And yes, I do have a thing for beautiful eyes (like Elijah's *drool*).
All in all though, despite having some scenes I couldn't bear to watch this is definitely a movie I would have regretted to miss. So strongly recommended.

And just to inform you, no, I haven't just watched movies while I've been away. watched a lot of movies though, accompanied by the rattling dices of my mother and her aunt, Siv, playing Yatzy all weekend long. ^^ I have read a book as well, thank you very much. :P

"Dune" by Frank Herbert was the book I read.
I was expecting a well-written book, not just because I trust the one who recommended it, but because I have read another book by this author when i was younger. Despite this, I was surprised. I loved so much of the story itself, as well as how it had been written. I found myself reading the book in many different levels yet still it feels as if I haven't covered them all. Another thing surprising me was even though I knew it was fiction, a novel written to entertain, I actually believed what he wrote. It all made such perfect sense in so many ways I somehow carried pieces of that logic with me after I had put the book down and surfaced the real world again.
I really, really liked this book. Thank you for recommending it to me. <3

Anyways...
... my weekend passed and I have survived all the way to Kiruna. Friday we went strolling in town, and I naturally found my way to their bookstore. That's one of the best bookstores I've ever been to. And that is saying a lot. I bought four nice books that i'll probably end up reading here in Kiruna, but still. ^^
Saturday I met my captain Chade and spent some time with him in his cabin after finally finding my way there. :P It was a long and perilous journey, but I managed to find him in the end, don't worry. That was kind of nice.
And yesterday i finally arrived. Can words express how happy He makes me? I don't think so. He is the reason my heart keeps beating, keeps trying, and without him I would be nothing. As I write he is resting in my lap, in a small patch of sun that enters through a crowded window. He snores. I'm happy.


... but I still miss you, hunnies.

PS. iIm currently writing on a Mac, so cut me some slack with all my errors today DS

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

McMahon suck. ^^

"He snores. I'm happy."
You're like, the cutest thing ever. And possibly the only one who could write such a thing and mean it. :P

//J