fredag, augusti 31, 2007

Pity vs. Envy

I stumbled across this Italian proverb a few days ago.
"If the secret sorrows of everyone could be read on their forehead, how many who now cause envy would suddenly become the objects of pity.
This actually stayed with me for a while. I started thinking about how some people who's been close to me through life always seem to say that I shouldn't worry about what others say about me because they simply envy me and that causes them to act that way. I also started thinking that the people who envy me really just... shouldn't. Which is probably why this stuck with me.
Because I suspect if many of those people really knew, if they had seen what I've seen, then yes, I would become an object for their pity. A thought I am not so fond of.

And I wondered; why do people pity those who have been through hardships?
I honestly do not understand it. Pity is supposed to be such a virtuous feeling, a compassionate grace given to the lesser man. I don't like the way others are so quick to pity people. I think it's wrong. Pity belongs to those who deserves it. And I am not one of them. Nor are others who made it through their trials. I think they are worth admiring for actually making it through, rather than pitied because they did. That pity can cause horrible things to the one who becomes the object of it. I speak of experience.
Pity belongs to the ones who can't find it in their heart to respect their fellow man, regardless of religion, opinions or their appearances. Pity belongs to the ones who takes their fear out on others or are amused by things most people would shun. Pity belongs to the weak of heart. I'm amazed how few out there seems to understand that.

I don't write this seeking 'admiration' for myself. I know there are those out there who've had a worse time in life than me, they are the ones to really admire. I just... once I mistook the pity in others eyes, as I told them my story, for disgust. Now it is that very pity that disgusts me. Secret sorrows is something we all carry. It's part of who we are.
... why would anyone want to pity that?


Inga kommentarer: